Product listings are the meat and potatoes of selling online. When you sell at an in-person craft fair, shoppers are able to pick up, touch, and feel the items that you are selling. Think about trying to convey the things that they would learn from this interaction through your photos and descriptions: size, weight, feel (soft/hard/luxurious), etc.
1. Edit or Create New
Navigate to the “Product” tab inside of your vendor dashboard. From here, you will be able to view a list of all of your products, a notification of how many products listings you have left to show online in your booth, and the info of each product listing that you have.
NOTE: Only online products count against your 30 or 45 product listing limit. You can add an unlimited number of draft items. To continue adding draft items, you will need to have less than your limit of online items. Simply change one of your online items to draft, then continue adding draft items.
Product listing info:
- Image: If this looks like a greyed-out placeholder, you have not added any images to this listing yet.
- Name: The product name.
- Status: Online products will show on our website, draft products do not show up on the website and do not count against your product listing total.
- SKU: This will probably be blank. Unless you sell with SKUs
- Stock: This is where you will see if a product has sold out.
- Price and Earning: These are pretty self-explanatory.
- Type: Virtual, Simple, Variable, or External. Hover over the icon to be told what each is.
- Views: The number of views that this product listing has on our site.
- Date: The date that the product was created by you.
You can edit a product listing by simply clicking the listing title. You will also see options to edit, delete, view, or duplicate a product when you hover over the product name.
Click “add new product” to begin creating a new product.
Add New Product
You will be redirected to an “Add New Product” screen. Here, you will be able to enter all of the basic details of your product. The next screen will have more detailed information and options.
- Upload Product Image: Click “upload product image” to upload the main photo for your listing; click the “+” below that to upload more product images. It is a good idea to use square-cropped images and include multiple images of your product. Head to our Photography Tutorial for some tips and tricks!
- Product Name: The title of your product.
- Price: Cost per item.
- Discounted Price: Products can be put on sale by putting a reduced price in this section. By clicking “schedule,” you will be able to enter the start and end dates of the reduced price. For example, you can use this to just put the product on sale for the last day of our event.
- Short Description: Keep this at about 150-200 words and include the most important information here. Check out our Descriptions Tutorial for examples and inspiration.
- Category: Choose the most narrow category that your product fits in. It will automatically also be shown in the broad categories that the narrow category is within.
- Tags: Tags do not help your product rank in search. Read our Search Tutorial to find out how to get your product found in search.
- Brand: This section is not used on Craft Fair USA
- Description: This is the long description for your product. Check out our Descriptions Tutorial for examples and inspiration.
Finish this screen by clicking “Create Product.”
You will be redirected to a new screen titled “Edit Product.” This is also the screen that you will see if you choose to edit one of your previously-created product listings.
All of the information entered from the previous page has been filled in on this screen. But, there are some new information fields to fill out as well. At this point, the information needed will differ between product listing types.
- Product Type:
- Simple: For selling an item that has no options.
- Downloadable: Want to sell a digital art print, digital sewing pattern, or other type of document?
- Virtual: Products that are intangible and are not shipped.
- Variable: Choose this to offer customers a choice between size, color, or other options.
- External/Affiliate: This option will turn your “Add to Cart” button into a “Buy Now” button that will redirect the customer to a different website to complete purchase. NOTE: Customers are more apt to purchase items through Craft Fair USA because it takes less effort on their part (and they can purchase from multiple vendors at once).
- Simple: For selling an item that has no options.
Here is a run-down of the fields needed to finish setting up a simple product:
- Inventory: If you do nothing in this section, your product will never sell out. In other words, people will be able to purchase an unlimited number of this item from you.
- SKU: Not required.
- Stock Status: This should be pretty self-explanatory
- Enable Product Stock Management: Check this checkbox if you only have a certain number of these items to sell.
- Stock Quantity: Enter the number of this item that you have. the computer will then automatically mark the listing as “out of stock” when you have sold the number you indicate.
- Low Stock Threshold: You will receive an email notification when this product has sold down to this number.
- Allow Backorders: This would let someone purchase the item, even if it is out of stock. We recommend not allowing backorders.
- Allow Only One…: Self-explanatory.
- Shipping: Shipping needs to first be set up in your settings. Learn how in our Shipping Tutorial.
- This Product Requires…: Check this box, even if you are offering free shipping. This is how the computer knows to ask the customer for a shipping address.
- Weight & Dimensions: These are not required and do not impact the shipping charge.
- Shipping Class: This is where you can choose a special shipping class for this product. You must have set up the shipping class in your settings for this to have any impact. Learn how in our Shipping Tutorial.
- Tax Status & Class: Leave these on the automatically-selected options.
- Linked Products: Only online products can be linked in this section. Draft items will not be searchable.
- Upsells: These items are listed as recommended products on this product’s listing.
- Cross-Sells: These items should be complimentary to this product listing–they will be recommended in the customer’s cart.
- Attribute: This section can be left blank; it is typically used for variable products.
- Discount Options:
- Bulk Discount: Click this checkbox to enter a minimum order quantity to apply for a certain bulk-order discount.
- Other Options:
- Product Status: Online or Draft
- Visibility: It is best to keep this set to “visible.”
- Purchase Note: Any information entered here will be added to the emailed invoice to the customer.
- Enable Product Reviews: Leave this unchecked–by the time that the customer receives their product, the website will be shut down and a password will be required to view or review any product.
The downloadable product option also has a section for uploading your download file.
- Downloadable Options:
- Add File: Click this button to upload the file that you will be selling. The customer will automatically gain access to this after they complete their purchase.
- Download Limit: Enter a number in this field if you want the customer to only be able to download the file a certain number of times.
- Download Expiry: How many days do you want the customer to have access to download the file?
Here is a run-down of the field differences when making a variable product:
- Inventory: Now, you will have the option to enter different inventory amounts under each variant. But, you can still choose to track inventory at the product listing level. If you do this, you will be able to sell up to that number of any combination of your variants.
- Attribute and Variation: This is where you will enter your product variation options. It is a 2-part process, please follow along with the video, below, to learn how to easily navigate this.
Tutorial Video: Variable Products
Follow along with this handy video to see how the variations & attributes section should be navigated. https://www.loom.com/share/f88003bea89c48ecaf7654a4331c4652
Troubleshooting multiple variables
You can add more than one variable option per listing–think about offering different color choices AND different size choices. If you run into some trouble getting this set up, check out this handy video that will help walk you through the most common fixes.
Also, feel free to reach out for personal support by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
An external product has many fewer options than the other types. This is because most of the purchasing information will be held on the website that you are directing the customer to.
- Product URL: Enter the web address to the page that you want customers to purchase the item from.
- Button Text: It is a good idea to leave this text as “Buy product.”
The Grouped Product option is never used on Craft Fair USA. If you are curious as to what it is, and if you could use it, feel free to read this tutorial article: How to create a grouped product. Craft Fair USA did not compile this article, but the company that helped us create our marketplace website did.